Would you ever use Google Docs for documenting a network? Consider a church that has limited on-site IT support, uses some volunteers, some contractors, does some outsourcing, maybe more. What’s a good way to share information that any of them might need, even when not on site?
Why not just use Google Docs?
- The price is certainly right
- It’s easy to get to
- Sharing is easy. Controlling that sharing is easy too
- Any and all who have permission can make updates, even at the same time
- OK, it would be a terrible place to store sensitive information like passwords
- If it’s shared, it could be easily re-shared. (perhaps no worse than anything else)
- If no Internet connection, no documentation. OK, that’s sort of lame, but could conceivably be an issue
- It’s easy to back up
- Version control is somewhat built-in
- Why is this so exciting? And so scary a thought at the same time